PLA has the exclusive right to control accessibility, hours of use, features on the Website & Tools, and any other information found on the Website & Tools. PLA reserves the right to make changes to the Website & Tools including modifications and improvements at any time without notice. PLA can restrict access to any or all portions of the Website & Tools or remove any information or content from the Website & Tools at any time. PLA reserves the right, but shall not be obligated, to monitor use of the Website & Tools.
You are solely responsible for providing the equipment related to accessing the Website & Tools, including but not limited to all computer, remote communications equipment, telephone, and other equipment.
- Ownership of Website & Tools. The Website & Tools is the copyright of the PLA and its Licensors and You gain no ownership in the Website & Tools or reports. The PLA and its Licensors shall also retain the copyright, trademark, or other notices in any extracted materials from the Website & Tools or its reports.
- Permitted Use of Website & Tools. You have permission to download and distribute the Website & Tool’s survey links for your library website for the purpose of gathering survey responses from library users. You shall not distribute the Website & Tools to other library systems in whole or in part without written permission by PLA. You have no commercial rights to use the Website & Tools without the written permission of PLA and its Licensors. You may not post any of the reports pdf or the pdf link on any non-library website or server or to incorporate the Website & Tools into any non-library software system, website, or other media. You do not have permission to download the website contents of the Website & Tools. You do not have permission to modify the format or content of the Website & Tools, except to provide responses to the questions and comments. You may copy and distribute Your response to questions in a separate document solely for Your personal use.
- Participation. You agree to contribute data as set forth in the survey provided by PLA (the Data). You represent and warrant that You have the right to the Data and are legally authorized to submit the Data to PLA. You represent and warrant that the Data You provide to PLA shall be accurate and complete. You agree to provide truthful and accurate registration information as requested by PLA; to promptly inform PLA of any changes to your registration information; to take all reasonable precautions to safeguard access to your password and to prevent unauthorized use of the Website & Tools; and to promptly report to PLA any unauthorized use of your password or the Website & Tools of which you become aware.
- Assignment of Rights in Data. You hereby assign to PLA all right, title and interest, including all intellectual property rights, in and to the Data. PLA shall have no obligation to return any Data to You upon termination or expiration of Project Outcome or Your participation in the same. Without limiting the foregoing, PLA may use the Data for ongoing development, promotion, and research purposes. You acknowledge that You will receive no compensation, now or in the future, for the use of the Data. PLA will de-identify any Data distributed for PLA’s purposes. You further acknowledge that Project Outcome is funded through a grant that requires broad distribution and access to the Data and that PLA will act in compliance with such grant requirements in the use and distribution of the Data.
- Reports and Deliverables In exchange for Your agreements above, PLA will provide You with access to the Survey results and summary through an the Impact Survey Portal a period of one year from the date of the release of the Survey results and summary, at no cost. Impact Survey features will provide You with a written report that will detail the results of the Survey in a de-identified form (the “Report”). PLA hereby grants to You a non-exclusive, non-transferable, limited right to use the Report. The license granted herein is limited to Your employees and officers and only in the course of and for Your internal business purposes and may not be resold or redistributed in any manner. The Report and content contained therein is for informational purposes only and does not constitute advice. You acknowledge that the content of the Report is being provided by participants, and not PLA, and as such the Report is provided on an as-is basis. You acknowledge and agree that between You and PLA, PLA owns all copyright, trademark, trade secret and other proprietary rights in the Survey, the content of the Report and in each report and other deliverable generated from the Survey and all intellectual property contained therein and You receive no right or interest thereto beyond the limited license granted herein.
- Attribution. You shall always provide proper attribution to the Website & Tools Survey in any publication or presentation as follows: Information provide by Project Outcome, an initiative of the Public Library Association.
- Limits of Website & Tools Survey. You acknowledge the Website & Tools survey is not a statistically representative survey and makes no claims to be so. You agree that your will not represent or imply that Your use of the Website & Tools, its Data, or reports is statistically representative of Your community. You acknowledge that the Website & Tools is for informational and educational purposes only and is not a substitute for Your professional judgment, including validating the results through other evaluation methods.
- Feedback. You may be asked to advise the Website & Tools, and review, provide commentary and ideas, including Survey input and results, (“Feedback”) which may be used by the Website & Tools at no cost and no-fee basis for any purpose without needing to obtain any additional permission, including permitting PLA and its Licensors to use and incorporate the Feedback in the Website & Tools and other works related to the Website & Tools. You acknowledge that You will receive no compensation, now or in the future, for the Feedback. You grant permission for PLA and its Licensors to use your library’s name in connection with the Feedback, only to identify You as reviewer of the Website & Tools.
- Warranty Disclaimer. The Website & Tools is provided AS IS without warranty or obligation to provide any additional services. You assume the risk for accessing and using the Website & Tools. PLA AND ITS LICENSORS EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ANY AND ALL WARRANTIES, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, PERTAINING TO THE MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT OF WORK OR ANY OTHER MATERIALS OTHERWISE PROVIDED TO END USER UNDER THIS AGREEMENT.
- Limitation of Liability. NEITHER PLA NOR ITS LICENSORS SHALL BE LIABLE FOR ANY LOSS, INJURY, CLAIM, LIABILITY, OR DAMAGE OF ANY KIND RESULTING FROM YOUR USE OF THE WEBSITE & TOOLS OR ANY INFORMATIOMN APPEARING ON OR THROUGH ANY PORTION OF THE WEBSITE & TOOLS, INCLUDING THE REPORTS. NEITHER PLA NOR ITS LICENSORS SHALL BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY KIND WHATSOEVER (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ATTORNEYS' FEES) IN ANY WAY DUE TO, RESULTING FROM, OR ARISING IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THE WEBSITE & TOOLS, THE DATA OR THE REPORTS. TO THE EXTENT THE FOREGOING LIMITATION OF LIABILITY IS PROHIBITED, YOUR SOLE REMEDY SHALL BE TO CEASE USE OF THE WEBSITE & TOOLS.
- Indemnification. You shall indemnify and hold harmless PLA and its Licensors and their respective officers, faculty, employees, students and agents, against any and all claims, suits, losses, damages, costs, fees and expenses resulting from Your use of the Website & Tools, including but not limited to any damages.
About our Collaborators
University of Washington iSchool
The Impact Survey grew out the 2009 Opportunity for All research studies at the University of Washington Information School (iSchool), with support from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and the Institute for Museum and Library Services. Opportunity for All was the first large-scale investigation of the ways U.S. library patrons use computers and the Internet at public libraries, why they use it, and how it impacts their lives. The study included four case studies and a national online survey designed to augment the results from a statistically representative telephone survey. Over 400 libraries across the country made the online survey available to their patrons, an effort that yielded over 45,000 responses.
Because the patron survey was such a success, over the past five years, the U.S. Impact Study research group at the iSchool has been building the Impact Survey service to continue to extend the benefits of the Opportunity for All web survey to all U.S. public libraries and to build on the platform so other public and nonprofit organizations will be able to measure their impact.
The Global Libraries Atlas is an online report of public library programs and data from around the world. The site is currently under development and will continue to be updated in the near future, and all site data is in the process of being validated and not guaranteed to be accurate.
We use the personal information associated with your registration only for providing and improving this website, and will not share your information with any outside parties. While we use commercially acceptable means to protect your information, remember that no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure. The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation reserves the right to terminate your access and account data at any time without notice. This website may contain links to third-party websites, services, and media content that are not controlled by The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation or Community Attributes Inc., of which we take no responsibility over the content of such sites, services, or media. All copyright, trademarks, design rights, patents and other intellectual property rights associated with this website belong to, or are licensed by, The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation or Community Attributes Inc.